Monday, November 13, 2006

Can my dog come with me into the fitting room?

Today I walked to Williamsburg, which is the next neighborhood over from my own. It has a repuatation for being So Cool That it Hurts. I had Jack with me and together we went into the Hipster Vintage Clothing Store (not it's real name.) "Can she come in?" I asked the Cool Girl behind the counter, and gestured toward Jack. "Sure!" the Cool Girl replied. And gave Jack some pets.

Doggy and I looked around for a while until we found a nifty sweater and a dress. I just sort of draped her leash on her back and let her follow me as I wandered. I headed toward the fitting room, where again it seemed like no big deal that I had a small German Shepherd following me, and they ushered me into a curtained room where I proceeded to try on my Hip Vintage Garments. As I pondered the (sadly) too-big dress that was barely hanging on my body, I realized that Jack had decided to leave the confines of our little curtained dressing room. "Jacky!" I said, peeking out of my curtain. And then I spied her wagging tail... she had helped herself to another (occupied) curtained dressing room.

"On my god! I'm so sorry" I yelped as I grabbed her leash from the floor and pulled her out of the foreign changing room and back into my own. "That's okay," came a non-chalant voice. As though it's no strange thing to have a random, one-eyed dog just wander into your dressing room.

I love New York.

PS: I bought the sweater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha - that's an awesome story. It made me laugh...and then almost cry cuz I miss NYC.

See you SOON! :)