Sunday, January 21, 2007

In the catagory of "overheard"

This is a (fairly accurate) transcript of a conversation that I overheard on the bus this evening. Imagine a girl my age, but with a slightly Americanized British accent. Her phone rings, and it goes a little something like this:

Hello? Hello? Mummy, where are you? No, where are you? What? You're in Dubai! Yes... I'm sorry I missed your call this morning, I was so disappointed! No, no-- it's good that you called. Mummy, I'm on the bus. I'm on the bus because the G train isn't working but it's nice to be above ground, no? I rather like it. Mummy, I have news! You know David? Uncle David? Yes, Uncle David... I've spoken with him, Mummy, I've spoken with him and the most wonderful thing... I'm going to Connecticut, Mummy to see him, but it's because --yes, to Connecticut-- it's because Grandpa's being admitted --no, listen, Mummy-- Grandpa's being admitted to the Hall of Fame! There'll be a ceremony and Uncle David invited me! It's wonderful news! Oh, and Mummy, it was sort of sad today because it was Aria's last day. But she went and got a tattoo today, a tattoo of a red Corvette on her foot, because she loves Prince so much. And Mummy, we all went with her and got tattoos as well. Yes, I got one on my foot... because I really wanted to Mummy, I really did. I got "pula" written in very pretty script. You know, for Botswana. It means so much to me and there really isn't anything more Botswana than "pula." It's so pretty, Mummy. I love it. David got a skull on his hand, and Heather put "mother" on her back. And Jeff got a little triangle on his wrist. Yes, a triangle. It's for protection, he says. But I'm just so exhausted Mummy, we were there for six hours. It just takes so much energy, and I went last. I'm just so tired. It hurt so much I screamed the whole time. Yes, Mummy, I'm so glad you phoned. I'm so glad. Have a lovely trip and I love you massive amounts. Massive amounts! I love you. I love you. Mummy, I love you. Okay. Bye then.

It was quite an interestinf conversation to overhear.

I heart NY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Pula' is the Botswana unit of currency. The word means 'blessing' and 'rain'.
The Kalahari Desert is in Botswana.
Love ya;
Da