Friday, May 18, 2007

Blogglets here and there

So, here's the usual excuse: I have been working a lot so when I get home at night, I try to avoid the computer a little so I can spend time with my dog and my husband. But the other half is off at a show, so here I am to catch y'all up. On what, I'm not so sure. Right now I'm just kind of trying to contemplate the place my belly is in, after me having eating nearly an entire bag of blue corn chips and a full jar of creamy southwestern ranch dip. Sounds good, right? It was.

Last Saturday, husband and dog and I went to the "dog beach" in Prospect Park. (That's the giant, huge, massive park in the neighborhood of Park Slope.) Park Slope is to Brooklyn what Lincoln Park is to Chicago, only a little crunchier and a lot richer. The strollers are big, parking is nil, and everyone has a dog. But I digress. We went to the Big Park and found the little, tiny dog beach. It was a portion of shore fenced off from the rest of the lake, perhaps thirty feet long and twenty feet deep. And for a dog who was used to frolicking up and down the longt beaches of Lake Michigan, it just wasn't worth it. If Jack could have given this beach the finger, she would have. Of course this led to me removing my shoes and wading into the putrid, icy water and trying to lure her in against her will. I did succeed in luring in a giant chocolate labrador, and was thusly splashed from head to toe. Good times.

Husband of mine is now officially done teaching for the year and has begun The World's Longest Summer Break. That is, of course, until he begins his second official job as a PhD student. Please wish him luck. Of course he's been getting email after email from his students professing how much they love him and how much they enjoyed his classes. What can I say? He's born to teach, for him it is truly a gift. My gift is an uncanny abilty to convince people not use comic sans or papyrus on their wedding invitations. See? We are each and all of us unique and wonderful snowflakes.

I get to attend the National Stationery Show here in New York this week... it's sort of like the Mother Ship is calling me home. Me and acres and acres of beautiful paper products... I might die of happiness. When I am not dying, I will be trying to suss out new and fun printing companies that we can represent in the shop. All other moments will be spent rolling around in piles of lovely letterpressed sheets and finely engraved papers. Yes, paper cuts may happen.

Summer is really trying to arrive here, but today it's been freakin' cold. I sense California wants to send me some sun, though.

No comments: