Friday, September 22, 2006

Just a *little* off.


I do not enjoy the Busy Bee Food Exchange. They operate a noisy business and are not friendly, and it smells bad inside. It is a family-run store. I'm sure it's some Polish family who has been in the area for generations and therefore are somewhat discouraged that their neigborhood is being taken over by the likes of me and my kind. "My kind" being the kind who swoop in from somewhere else, say Chicago, and proclaim instant Brooklyn Resident Status when really, I've only been here for 5 minutes and they've been here for 80 years. (Never mind that I, too, have a lot of Eastern Eurpoean blood in my veins... does that count for anything? Probably not.)

That being said, I think it's pretty funny that this is the clip art that the Busy Bee Food Exchange uses for all of their posters. Somehow, I can't imagine the Polish ladies behind the counter choosing this image for it's irony and kitch value. But I laugh every time I walk by. I wonder what Matt Groening would think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It hurts me to see that my once great neighborhood is being overpopulated by you new age hipsters , artists , musicians , weirdos , that think that every neighborhood in this great state are like manhattan. New York is not only manhattan , although many people think that. New York is a city in which people from all over the world meet. Nowhere else in the world you see this happening on such a huge scale. It is divided into neighborhoods of nationalities from different corners of the world and people in these neighborhoods keep it as close to their home country as possible. It would be sad to develop these neighborhoods into big business neighborhoods where evrything is the same everywhere you turn. I feel sorry for people that have nothing better to do but to sit at home and write negative things about their local grocery store. About the SEREK HOMOGENIZOWANY.... when i go to a store and i see some food from another country...guess what? I don't buy it. I don't complain about it on the internet because i have the brain capacity to comprehend that other cultures would like to purchase food among other things from their home country in their local store. I don't see anybody complaining about Chinatown. IDIOTS....