Thursday, September 21, 2006

Score! !


My loving parents passed on to me a gene that makes it impossible for me to resist cool pieces of junk, miscellaneous nifty items on the side of the road, or any old something that looks like it has a story behind it.
That being said, I could not pass up this wonderful item that was laying near some trashy cans down the street. I think that it might have been a roof hole-cover. That's my guess. It's heavy as sin, and me and Jack had a pretty good time dragging it home. I mean, it took me a while to decide to actually take it. I made sure it was not within the "area" (that's the little fenced in spot in front of your house). Yep, it was definitely out of the area. But who would throw this away? This was collage gold! Art waiting to happen! I called Nicole to get a second opinion on helping myself to it, but she didn't answer. Finally, I just sucked it up and took off with it, hoping that no one would run after me screaming "Hey! That's my hipster art project in the making!" At which point I just would have yelled "Attack, Jack, Attack!" But then Jack would have just looked confused, because she has never been commanded to attack. But I think she might, if it were for the sake of art. But no one stopped us.
Anyway, it's a thick wooden frame with a wooden back piece, which I assume was once the "top", if it was indeed a cover to something. It's covered with a layer of metal that is beautifully rusted and degraded. Finding this cool art object makes up for having to pass on the two huge, green Japanese vases that someone left out for the taking the other day. I couldn't even lift one of those, much less two. Oh, Brooklyn city streets, what gold you yield!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your score looks like a real treasure and I would have taken it home too. Remember my rusty wheelbarrow? Maybe you should invest in a wagon - then you'd have a way to take home heavy objects. I feel sad about the green Japanese vases and I didn't even see them! Now that you're in a real East Coast city, you can probably find a great salvage yard with cool stuff for collages. Just think of me when you go and know that I'd love to be with you. Maybe it's best that I can't be, we'd find too much to bring home...

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I can just see you and Jack dragging that home.