Sunday, October 22, 2006

Fall

Fall is upon us in New York, and it is upon us with a fury. I have spent many an evening in the crunchy brown and orange leaves on the park lawn, playing ball and stick with Jack. It's quite idyllic, what with the breeze and the sweaters and the fireplace smells. There are more houses with Halloween decorations than those without and plastic ghosts and pumkins are everywhere. I love it, and I think that I might be quite happy if it were October for most of the year.

Tomorrow we are taking out first day-long road trip to the Historic Villiages of Westchester. This includes visiting Sleepy Hollow, which I am terribly excited to see. I have a feeling it's probably not going to yield any screaming romps through the forrest while being chased by the headless horseman, but one can dream.

In other news comletely unrelated to anything NYC, I came across an amazing blog by a woman named Lori K. Gordon. She is a Gulf Coast artist who began making collage/assemblage sculptures of the ruined bits of her and her neighbor's lives after Katrina. I have been chatting with her via email about her work. I expressed interest in purchasing something, and found out that the one piece that I was completely intent on owning is $1000.00. So if you were wondering what to get me for Christmas, here's your hint. But truly, take the time to view her site. There is some wonderful, immensely emotional work to be seen there. Here is her description of the piece that I love most of all: The Home Place is a haunting piece which tells the story of the many beautiful homes which used to line the Mississippi Gulf Coast. There are only ghosts left of these homes now, whether they are photographs, memories or a few battered pilings left standing. The piece is made from a badly damaged etching in its original, battered frame, mounted on a salvaged tabletop adorned with pieces of a plant stand. 48" x 19"

No comments: