Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Where's my East Coast winter?

Not much is happening these days in our neck of the woods. Lots of working (for me, anyway. My other half is on winter break from the University.) We spend our days off together wandering around the hood or going into Manhattan to see movies or museums or just hang about.

What's really weird about all of this is the fact that it has been an average of 50 degrees here in New York, every day for the past few weeks. As most of you know, I grew up in Fresno and therefore never had a real "winter". Just dampness and fog. Lots of fog. Some mornings, you can't see the house across the street. It's a special kind of quiet that goes with that kind of fog, and I kind of miss it.

Then I moved to other parts of the country where they have seasons and where winter means more than just fog... it means snow! Snow like you see in movies... and I fell in love. I fell in love with all kinds of snow and with real cold. It's a beautiful thing. Snow on the beach in Chicago... Snow even made Arlington, Virginia an acceptable place to live. (The picture was taken in February of 2006 in Arlington.)

But there has been nary a flake here in the New York City. We haven't gone this far into winter without snow since 1887 (or something close to that.) People, it's supposed to be 60 degrees on Friday. Al Gore might be right about the Republicans causing such intense global warming. (That is what his movie is about, right?) Anyway, tonight I don't have anything insightful or deep to say about New York life or life in general, I just really wish it would get cold and snow.

Now, without furthur ado, is a picture of Jack wearing twinkly Christmas lights.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Jackie lit up!

If its any consolation, its just as unwintery in Chicago. And its no fun.