Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Just say no...

...to Christmas shopping!

Well, you don't have to. But we are! We are turning a new leaf this season and not buying any gifts. None. Not even for each other. We are also requesting that no one buy gifts for us. Instead, we have chosen two charities that are near and dear to us:

1. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. This is a truly awesome place that any animal lover is bound to fall in love with. It is one of the biggest no-kill animal rescue organizations in the country and they do much to help homeless pets of all kinds from all over the place. We will be donating with pride and hope to this organization. Please take a look at their website... if you feel so moved, you can sponsor a pet in need for only $25. That's nothing! You don't even have to give up your whole holiday budget like we are. Every little bit helps.

2. The St. Bernard Project. My boss, a lover of all things New Orleans, turned me on to this organization. This husband and wife team are making it their mission to rebuild the hurricane-ravaged Gulf, one house at a time. Visit the website to see how each and every dollar you donate goes toward specific building materials. It's amazing how little it actually takes to get a family back into a house. And as a side note, my boss and her husband are collecting donations and traveling down to New Orleans in February to lend their labor skills to the St. Bernard Project. We are donating to this charity as well. For those who might not know, my family has some serious connections to New Orleans. My paternal grandparents were both born and raised there, as was my father. We still have tons of extended family in the Gulf and believe me, that area still needs all the help it can get.

So, there you have it. For those on my holiday card list, you'll probably get a repeat of this info with your Christmas card. Just trying to spread the word and hopefully inspire some more people to give these groups -- or to any group that they feel is worth helping.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your request about no gifts this year, as everyone's gift money has been spent on medical bills. Getting old is indeed a bitch. And I think the 2 organizations you've chosen seem very worthy. However I did think the St. Bernard group was a dog rescue because 1. You love all things dog and 2. My former boss, Kit, has a St. Bernard rescue dog. Obviously, I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

I love Best Friends!

I see too, that you have google listed as a link you like. Excuse me donning my saleswoman hat for a minute, but I have to mention searchkindly.org.

SearchKindly uses google's browser but raises money for charity, and users can suggest and then vote on charities.

I usually don't attack people with things I think are cool, but I love SearchKindly. Oh yeah, and the man who came up with the idea and made it a reality is my boyfriend, which I think makes it just that much cooler.

/end sales pitch