Monday, February 11, 2008

The latest

Yesterday Husband and I went to the Met to see the Jasper Johns exhibit. At the Met, you "pay what you wish" for an admissions fee. I wish to pay a lot less than the suggested $20 per person, so I paid $5. Let the tourists get guilted into paying full price. When I lived in the Washington DC area, the museums were free, and that is a train I can get on board.

Anywhoo, the Met was very crowded and the Jasper Johns exhibit was especially crowded. I marveled at how people don't seem to mind bumping into a pregnant belly. Rather, they don't care to apologize when they do. I spent much of the gallery time trying to suck in the belly and schootch by the crowds. (For the record, it is hard to suck in a baby belly on the cusp of the third trimester.)

Some funny conversations overheard yesterday...

On the L train going from Brooklyn to Manhattan:

Hipster Girl: So I forgot to go to the specific bakery that she wanted me to, so I went to another one and got the stuff. And then I told her that the one she liked was closed, so I went to another one. And then do you know what she did? She actually called the first one and asked if they were closed, and then told me that they weren't. I mean, I know I lied and all, but seriously... this is what you do with your time? I mean, god. So anyway, whatever."

And at a diner on the Upper East Side:

Middle-aged guy: Here I am having to wear this vest everynight that sends electric shocks to my chest, all the while monitoring my blood sugar and having to give myself shots for it, too. And as I sit in my big, gorgeous house that I worked so hard for, I just keep thinking that if I'd just have spent the past few years working on my marriage instead, I wouldn't have to be thinking about my wife and her new boyfriend enjoying eachothers' comapny down in St. Lucia."

Sometimes living in New York is like being a character in a Woody Allen movie. It really is.

The wind chill here got down to like -5 degrees last night. Bring on Spring, please!!

No comments: